YouTube Kids Safety Settings
If you are permitting your child to use YouTube, for those under twelve years of age especially, we strongly recommend that you only permit the use of YouTube Kids. The content on the platform is specifically child orientated.
However, even with the best filters in the world applied, inappropriate content may still be accessed on YouTube. While it may also occur from time to time on YouTube Kids, it happens far less often. If possible, parents should still always try view the content young children are viewing first.
Always review the content that has been viewed also, to ensure a child has not been exposed to material which may be distressing to them. It is possible to setup one account and add several children, each with different parental control settings.
- Inappropriate Content
- Time Limits
Setting up a Parents Parental Control Account
- Open the YouTube Kids app
- Select the profile image in the upper left-hand corner of the screen
- Once selected a dialog box will open which will prompt you to create a profile
- Select Get Started.
- Enter the details as required such as the year of birth
- You will be asked to nominate a Google Account to connect to your profile
- If your account doesn't have recorded consent, you'll see a parental consent form
- These are terms and conditions which should be read over
- Once done select Done if you wish to proceed
- When prompted enter your password or if your account already has a recorded consent, enter your password to confirm your identity
- You will now be prompted to create a profile for each child by entering the child's Name, Age and Month of Birth
We do advise not to give accurate details only approximate as required even though only you and your child will have access to this personal information
Setting the Parental Control Options on YouTube Kids
- To select the appropriate content experience for a child there are 4 content settings to select from
- The Preschool content setting (ages 4 & under) allows kids to watch videos that promote creativity, playfulness, learning, and exploration. Our systems work hard to exclude content not suitable for kids in preschool, but not all videos have been manually reviewed. If you find something inappropriate that we missed, you can block it or flag it for fast review.
- The Younger content setting (ages 5-7) allows kids to search and explore songs, cartoons, crafts, and more. Our systems try to exclude content not suitable for young kids, but we can't manually review all videos. You may find something inappropriate that we missed. With this setting, Search results will be limited to content for kids 7 and under. Please note, if you wish to turn Search off, you can do this following the instructions in parental settings.
- The Older content setting (ages 8-12) allows kids to search and explore additional music videos, gaming, science, and more. Our systems try to exclude mature content, but we can't manually review all videos. You may find something inappropriate that we missed. With this setting, search results are limited to content recommended for kids 12 and under. Please note, if you wish to turn Search off, you can do this following sign up in parental settings.
- With Approve content yourself, your child will only be able to watch videos, channels, or collections that you've approved. Collections are videos and channels grouped by topics such as science and music. With this setting, your child won't be able to search.
- The selection is only applicable to this profile
- You can add up to 8 profiles by selecting the Add option and then completing the same selection for the appropriate level of content for each user
- Once completed select the Arrow to complete set up