Messenger Kids Safety Settings
Messenger Kids is an app intended for use specifically for children. It is aimed at those under 13 years of age. The app works off of the Facebook platform. It does offer good protection for children online in comparison to some of the other more popular apps children use, that do not afford the same level of protection from inappropriate contacts or content.
A parent will need to have created or have an existing Facebook account for a child to use this app. The child they wish to connect to will also have to have a parent with a Facebook account.
Age Rating PG Parental Guidance
It’s strongly recommended children under 13 years do not use Messenger Kids
- Contact Supervision
- Chat History Review for Parents
- Inappropriate Content
- Time Restrictions
- Log Out Controls
How to use set up Messenger for Kids App for your child
- Go to your preferred app provider to select https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.talk&hl=en_US for Android
- https://apps.apple.com/us/app/messenger-kids/id1285713171 for Apple
- Install the App
- On set up, you will need to have your own Facebook account to verify that you are a parent setting up the App
- Select confirm and enter your own Facebook login details
- Enter your child’s Name when prompted and select Continue
- On the next screen select their date of birth and the select Continue
NOTE: We always strongly advise not to use their real personal information
- On the Things We Want You To Know page, read the information carefully before selecting OK to continue and accept the Terms and Conditions
- On the screen that appears next you will see the names, images and details of your contacts who have created a Messenger Kids account. Only children of contacts from your own contact list can be approved
- You can send and receive invitations to your contacts, when finished select Next
- Children will have approved by you before they will be able to engage with your child. When finished select Next
- You will then be asked to choose adults who your child can engage with. These may be grandparents, uncles or aunts etc.
- When you have selected the family members you wish to have on the child’s contact list, you will be prompted to assign a role of moderator to these contacts for the child’s account. We would advise against this.
- The app will provide a four word passcode which can be used by other children to find your child’s account
- Next you will be asked to approve access to media on the device, to access the camera and microphone and to receive notifications. Select Agree to continue
- Finally select We Agree to verify you have read the terms and conditions
The Parents Dashboard
The parent’s dashboard is how parents will be able to monitor the child’s activity on the platform.
How to view Recent Contacts and Chat History
- Select Activity on the left of the screen. Both the recent video and text chat history will be available from the last 30 days
How to download a child’s activity on the platform
- Open the App
- Under Parental Controls select Download (child’s name) Information
- Select Messages, Profile Information and Contacts
- You can choose to download activity or the activity between specific date ranges
- Please note that the child should be unable to delete any of their activity
- Select Create File for it to download
Log of Images in Chats
- This option affords parents the ability to review the child’s in and outbox and see the most recent photos and videos.
- If there is any content of concern a parent can remove it or report
Reported and Blocked Contacts History
Access a list of the reporting and blocking actions your child has taken in the app. You’ll see a list of the contacts your child has blocked and/or unblocked, if they have reported any messages as well as any contacts they’ve reported and the reason for their action. Parents will continue to be notified via Messenger if their child blocks or reports someone.
Remote Device Logout
It is possible to see all devices where your child’s account is logged in to Messenger Kids. If there are any devices that you do not recognise you should immediately log the device out of the app.