The internet offers so much content to us these days via text, images and video. Unfortunately, not all online content is appropriate for all users. Parents should be aware that Children are always only a single click away from being exposed to graphic images or video, which can have long-lasting negative impact on the mental health of a younger viewer. There are many reported incidences of Children discovering adult content in YouTube cartoons. Or from mis-directed advertising link to pornography. In December 2018, YouTube took down 58 million videos which contained spam or adult content.
- Pornography Sites
- Gambling Sites
- radicalization Sites
- Mature orientated sites that encourage violence, eating disorders, suicide etc.
- Adult orientated sites that show violence such as beheading videos etc.
- Video, Text and Chat rooms which are adult orientated
Advice for Parents
Parental Controls offer a means to restrict access to these sites, however you should remember that no technology is 100% reliable in this area. Have a conversation with your child and help them understand the importance of
- Age appropriate material and content
- The importance of having agreed rules in relation to what they should and should not access on a device
- Remind Children that it is always ok to tell you, if they have stumbled upon something or have seen something online that upsets them
- Set up Parental Controls, this is not a request, or an opinion, it is a necessity !!!!
- Ensure you install Parental Controls on all devices in the home
- Have a conversation with other parents. Make it clear what your position on Internet Access is. While you have made attempts to secure your devices, other parents may not have.